In most Jamaican cupboards there are common household products that are environmentally safe and economically sound. Baking soda, vinegar and fabric softener sheets are three such products. They are versatile, with many uses beyond their key functions. They are also cheap and available, found in any supermarket or at your nearest True Value home centre.
- For an all-purpose cleaner: mix together 4 tablespoons of Baking Soda and 1 quart of water.
- Clean and deodorize all bathroom and kitchen surfaces using Baking Soda on a damp sponge.
- To clean and deodorize a drain pour in one cup of Baking Soda, then run warm water slowly.
- Unclog a slow drain by pouring in one cup of Baking Soda, followed by one cup Vinegar. Cover and leave for 5 – 8 minutes. Uncover and pour a kettle of boiling water.
- Use a mixture of Baking Soda and Salt to clean glass, ceramic and enamel baking dishes.
- Use less chlorine bleach in your wash by adding Baking Soda. It also gives clothing a clean, fresh smell.
- Add one cup of Vinegar to rinse water for babies’ clothes to break down uric acid.
- Clean and freshen tea and coffeepots with a 1:1 Vinegar and water solution.
- To clean and brighten aluminum pots, boil two tablespoons Vinegar in one quart of water.
- Unclog deposits in metal showerheads with half a cup white Vinegar in one quart water. Place showerhead in mixture and boil 15 minutes.
- To shine and remove deposits around chrome faucets cover with paper towels soaked in Vinegar. Leave on for about an hour then clean.
- Remove stuck on hooks, decals, price labels and bath tub strips with drops of Vinegar. Allow to soak for a few minutes (will not remove paint from surfaces).
- Remove rust stains by rubbing Vinegar directly unto stains until they disappear, rinse.
- Clean glass and remove water spots with 1:3 Vinegar and water solution.
FABRIC SOFTENER DRYER SHEETS:
- Freshen parts of your home, office or vehicle by putting fabric softener sheets in drawers, closets, lockers, car, truck or boat.
- To reduce or remove odours, put fabric softener sheets at the bottom of wastepaper baskets, laundry hampers, sneakers or shoes.
- Prevent musty odours from developing by putting sheets in luggage before storing away.
- Clean shower doors and wall tiles with a sheet to remove soap scum.
- To keep away mosquitoes, hang a sheet near entrance door.
- Prevent static cling tangling your thread when sewing by running your needle and thread through a sheet.
- Wipe with a sheet to remove static electricity from Venetian blinds.
- Wipe with a sheet to remove static electricity from television and computer screens. Also prevents dust resettling.
- Pet hairs can be collected easily by wiping area with a sheet.
- Clean up dust and material particles easily from home, office or workshop by wiping with a sheet.